Sunday, October 25, 2009

Week 6 Complete

So another week has gone by and I am feeling super accomplished. In big news this week, I signed up for my first 5K!! There is going to be a Turkey Trot 5K for fun on base this November and I am super pumped to run in it! I will be a one week graduate of C25K by then, so I can't wait to put my training to the test and run the race. I am hoping I can do it in 30 minutes, that's going to be what I shoot for, but I won't be upset if it happens to take me a few minutes longer, I just want to be a finisher. After the race there is going to be a celebratory Thanksgiving dinner, but really more like lunch due to the time of day. My wonderful hubby has decided he wants to run the race with me, so it looks like he will be right there with me for it!

I really want to go on to run a half marathon and eventually a marathon. I found out that the Rock and Roll half marathon will be happening in Vegas the week that we are there this year in the beginning of December, but I highly doubt I will be able to go from running 3.1 to 13.1 miles in the course of 2 weeks. Sadly, I don't think we'll be heading to Vegas next year, so it seems I will have to find another half to compete in maybe in the Spring of 2010.

Anyway, back to Week 6 of C25K. I have been terribly under the weather this week, my lymph nodes in the left side of my neck swelled to the size of a baseball and I had a low grade fever all week long, so running wasn't exactly something I wanted to do, Day 1 and Day 2 were extremely difficult for me this week. This was also the last week of interval training, next week it's the big time, running for 25 minutes straight! So, Day 1 started with the 5 minute warm up walk, then a 5 minute run, then 3 minute walk, 8 minute run, 3 minute walk, and a final 5 minute run and then the 5 minute cool down. It wasn't terrible, but I was definitely ready for the walk after the 8 minute run. Day 2 involved the 5 minute warm up, 10 minute run, 3 minute walk, and then another 10 minute run, and then the 5 minute cool down.  Day 2 I definitely thought I was going to die during the second 10 minute run. I had to stop for about 20 seconds to stretch out my legs and ankles. I was so happy when it was finally over. I ended up doing Day 3 today instead of yesterday because Tony dragged me to the urgent care clinic yesterday finally after a week of my aforementioned illness. I ended up getting a steroid shot and the swelling has gone down a lot, so I felt a bit better and really wanted to stay on track, so to the gym I went. Today was the usual warm up, 25 minutes of straight running, and then the cool down. I must say I felt much better and so proud after finishing today! It gives me hope for next week. So here are the stats for the week:

Week 6, Day 1: 3.04 miles, 37:14
Week 6, Day 2: 2.99 miles, 35:13
Week 6, Day 3: 3.16 miles, 35:06

And on the weight loss front, I am back down to my wedding weight! Lost 3 lbs this week. Although I don't know if I should trust it just yet as it may have been a result of my illness and barely eating yesterday, so we'll see what the scale says next week, but I am hoping it stays and drops even more.

2 comments:

Kate said...

You're doing an awesome job! I always thought the C25K program sounds awesome, but I'm too chicken to try it myself!

Yvonne said...

Thanks Kate! You totally should try it! It's really easy and definitely makes you feel good about doing something and training your body to run. I highly recommend it!

Post a Comment