Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Peppermint Bark

The holidays are fast approaching, so what better time to start some candy making? I saw this recipe on one of the blogs I follow and have been dying to make it since I saw it. See I am obsessed with peppermint bark. Tony and I bought a bag of Dove Peppermint Bark squares at the commissary a few weeks ago. There are about 6 chocolates left in the candy dish on the coffee table right now. This is actually pretty surprising, I guess we both have been trying to restrain ourselves and not eat every single one of them. So after seeing the recipe I decided now was the right time to make my own. Yesterday I went to Sam's Club and low and behold they sell a 72 oz. bag of semi sweet chocolate chips! Woo hoo!! Let the baking commence! So here it goes:

Peppermint Bark (adapted from Peabody)

14 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips (the original recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate, it doesn't specify chips or not)
14 oz. white chocolate chips
1/2 crushed candy canes

I measured out 14 oz. of the chocolate chips using my kitchen scale, poured them into a bowl and zapped them in the microwave for about 1.5 mins. Stirred until they were all melted and the right consistency. Then spread the melted chocolate about 1/4 inch thick onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I used an angled spatula to spread it easily.




Once that was done I put it in the fridge to harden and worked on the candy canes and white chocolate and eventually left it to sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes.



Next, I zapped the 14 oz. of white chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes on 70% power. Stirred until the right consistency and then poured and spread it over the hardened semi sweet chocolate layer. Then I dumped the 1/2 cup crushed candy canes on top and tried to spread them as well, however this was a bit difficult as the white chocolate seems to begin to harden pretty quick. Also I crushed my candy canes in my Magic Bullet and it made them very fine, more like a powder. I think it would have worked better if I had just put the candy canes in a Ziploc and rolled over them with a rolling pin. It helps to try to push the crushed candy canes into the white chocolate, but like I said, you have to be quick about it!   So here's the almost finished product:



After it is all assembled, I put the tray back in the fridge to let it set for about 20 minutes. Then the fun began! It was all about breaking. Just take the hardened chocolate and break it into as many pieces as you want. They will be irregular and some will be larger than others, but that's ok. Some of mine ended up coming all apart, the white chocolate with the candy canes separating from the chocolate layer, which annoyed me a little, but in the end it is still delicious! Enjoy, I know we will!




No comments:

Post a Comment