Sunday, September 20, 2009

Falling Off The Wagon, Sort Of...

Yesterday Tony and I decided to head downtown to go to the famous Rock and Soul Museum, my mom had sent me a link that the Smithsonian Institute was giving away passes for free museum day, so we were really excited. That paired with the handful of Restaurant.com certificates we bough last week at 90% off for a few places downtown sounded like a perfect afternoon. After we parked, we went on to try to find the first restaurant that we decided we wanted to have lunch at, as luck would have it, it was closed. Darn! So on to option #2, that one was about a mile or more away, and it was raining, Tony didn't want to walk that far, so we decided on option #3, The Superior Bar on Beale Street. Only once I read our certificate it appeared it was only valid for dinner, not a 2 pm lunch. So being that we were striking out on our certifcates and hungry we ended up at The Blues City Cafe.

We got inside and checked out the menu, I thought it would have a ton of BBQ considering most places here are big BBQ places, but this one only had ribs, catfish, and fried chicken. Wonderful I thought, nothing exactly good for me to try to stay on plan. So the Devil got me, I ordered the chicken tenders, complete with steak fries and Texas toast. I must say they were delicious, real southern fried chicken, and of course they came with a side of BBQ sauce, which normally I prefer honey mustard, but the BBQ was excellent.

On we went to the museum, got to the door, I pulled out my printed out pass, and then read it, ugh the free day is Saturday September 26th, not September 19th! I felt so dumb! I couldn't believe I had made us go all the way downtown on the wrong day! Oh well, I got to enjoy lunch and a few hours with my husband.

Later we went to a homecoming party for one of Tony's coworkers. I always love it when military families are reunited, homecomings are always such happy times, but I always end up crying. Well Dave was gone almost one year, sent on an International Assignment to Afghanistan. Last month shortly after his return his wife Susan started planning a get together to give Dave a proper welcome back. It was such a great time. Susan and Dave are wonderful people and were awesome hosts, and they have a beautiful family. They had some appetizers and then some delicious BBQ pork sandwiches, which I believe Susan made the pork in her crockpot, much like I love to do! And of course there was cake. The cake was awesome, it was store bought, but still amazing, chocolate with buttercream frosting. All in all we had a fantastic time and we are so happy Dave is home to his family safe and sound.

This weekend has been a huge challenge for me with trying to stay on a healthy diet, I think I am allowing myself a little more slack since tomorrow is my birthday and my wonderful husband is taking me to the Melting Pot, but I still feel pretty guilty and bad about polluting my body with the fried, fatty, and sugary foods. Oh well, tomorrow I will go for my run and then Tuesday it is on again!

No comments:

Post a Comment