Sunday, March 07, 2010

Week 8 Half Marathon Training

Usually the title of this weekly post ends with the word "complete" however, this week I don't think that's the right word to use. I did not meet my mileage this week. According to my training plan I was supposed to do 22 miles this week, I knew I wouldn't make that, my goal was 18, I didn't make that either. How far did I get? 10 miles and 3 of them were walking. I am so bummed right now. This week was just terrible for me. I took Monday off after last Saturday's 12 miler. I felt okay, but I was just still a little sore and just not up to running just then.

Wednesday I went back to the gym and as I posted earlier this week, it was horrible. Thursday was much of the same, incredibly difficult to get through, lots of tightness in my left calf and ankle area. I ran maybe 75% of the 4 miles, the rest was walking and I got off that treadmill dripping wet and exhausted. Yesterday I had 9 miles on the docket, but I just couldn't do it. I was hobbling as it was, but I definitely didn't want to waste the beautiful day outside, so we just walked 3 miles around base. My left foot around the arch and the back of my lower leg were screaming in pain, so bad that walking was difficult, today they are feeling a little better, but I think the best medicine is just to rest it for now and not try to go back to training and meeting a mileage goal for the week. My main concern is getting to do the half and feel good and finish. 

Even though I know I need to lay off for a bit, it still drives me crazy. I want to run. I want to meet my mileage. I want to run pain free. It's really depressing right now, especially because it's beautiful outside again today and it would be perfect running weather. I debated going to a running store this afternoon to get professionally fitted for shoes, considering my Nikes came from the Exchange on base, and while they feel okay on my feet, I can't help but wonder if they are the cause or a contributing factor in the injuries I have been getting lately, or if it's just plain overtraining and too much stress on my body. But I don't know if it would be a good idea to go when I am injured and can't really run like I normally do. I don't know what the solution is right now other than rest and then going back out to try again in a few days. Then maybe taking a trip to the running store when I feel I am healed and back to my regular form. This afternoon though, I feel like a defeated runner.

Week 8, Day 1: 3.00 miles, about 33:00 mins, av pace: 11:00 min/mi (this was the day my iPod was dead)
Week 8, Day 2: 4.00 miles, 42:28, av pace: 10:36 min/mi
Week 8, Day 3: 3,00 miles, 53:27, av pace: 17:48 min/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment