Sunday, March 14, 2010

Back In The Saddle

Today I finally got back to running!! I am so happy to be back at it again and feel confident I will be able to finish the half marathon next week, even if it means walking some. I credit my long awaited return to my awesome new shoes! Yesterday, Tony and I went to our local running store, Fleet Feet Sports, and got professionally fitted for shoes. I've known for a while my Nike Air Moto+ 6's were probably not the right shoes for me, especially after all the recent injuries. Boy, was I right! The guy at Fleet Feet had me run on the treadmill while a video camera and computer taped me, then they analyze it and tell you if you overpronate, underpronate, or have a neutral pronation. Well, much like I suspected, I overpronate, so I need a stability shoe. Turns out my Nikes were a neutral shoe, and were so heavy and not flexible at all. After trying on several pairs of shoes recommended by the sales guy, and trying them out running outside on the sidewalk, I finally settled on the wondrously cushy and supportive Mizuno Wave Inspire 6's. I am in love!

I was also like a kid in the candy store at Fleet Feet. I wanted to buy everything! I did end up with that neat little pink pouch for my Nike+ sensor, some Body Glide, and a couple new gels, including a chocolate Hammer Gel, and a Vanilla Bean GU. I plan to try the chocolate gel during the half next week. But in addition to my loot, I also checked out and wanted some awesome Amphipod hand held water bottles and pouches, as well as some neato fuel belts, gels and sports beans, running shorts, and tech tees. I could have spent a fortune in there, luckily Tony reeled me in before I bought the whole store. As it turns out Tony is a neutral pronator, so basically he has the perfect form when running, but his Nikes were a stability shoe, so he ended up getting an awesome new pair of Asics Gel Cumulus 11, which he seems happy with. I am thrilled though that we both now have the correct shoes and can run the half pain free!

So, while I may have missed most of my training this week, and missed out on 15 miles, I am just so happy to be back to it at all. I leave you now with my stats for today's run. This next week will be a very light week as well in preparation for the big race next Sunday. Stay tuned for a full recap after the race!
Week 9, Day 1: 3.00 miles, 28:58, av pace: 9:37 min/mi (I was hoofing it today, at time I was in the upper 8:xx min/mi range, but I did slow down and walk a couple times).

No comments:

Post a Comment