Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Why I Run

Some days I question why I run. For health? To lose weight? A sense of pride and accomplishment? To collect medals? To challenge myself? To relieve stress? For therapy? I think for me, it's really a mixture of all these things, depending on the day. Lately though, it's really just been the biggest form of therapy and stress relief I have. See, things don't always go as planned. My life is definitely not at the place I thought it would be at right now, and it's getting increasingly harder to deal.

Everywhere I turn someone is pregnant. It's time to come clean. I was the one supposed to be pregnant right now. Before my life got turned upside down in August and my husband's career path got flipped on a dime. Now, instead, my husband is getting ready to deploy and the baby is being delayed for a year. It breaks my heart. That compounded with some medical issues, and I'm an emotional ticking time bomb.

Running seems to be the only thing I can control in my life right now. The only thing that I can say "this is what I am going to do right now" and have it happen. The only goal I know I alone I can shoot for and I alone am responsible for. It's therapeutic, when it's just me and the open road, I control how fast I want to go, and I determine if I am going to give in and quit or keep going and fight. It's really cathartic. The runner's high doesn't hurt either. So, I keep going. And I'll keep on going. I'm not going to quit. So then next time someone asks me why I run, instead of listing my myriad of reasons, I think I'll counter it with "why don't you?"

2 comments:

Bekkah said...

I feel the same way... in regard to running and the baby thing. As happy as you are for friends and others, sometimes it just hurts because you want the same thing and know it's not going to happen for you any time soon.

An added bonus to the running is that you know you will be in top shape to have a baby when your husband comes home from deployment!

Caitlyn said...

I had the opposite problem until I got pregnant... I can't seem to get into running again. I used to run all the time, and now I am way too lazy to run. That'll have to change right away as I try to get rid of excess weight but guaranteed I'll get lazy and not want to.

I think that it is good you are giving yourself something to keep your mind off of everything else you are going through :) Plus you'll get into great shape and feel even better!

Post a Comment