Friday, January 29, 2010

Bananas Foster

My husband loves bananas, I on the other hand, am not a fan. I hate the smell, I hate the texture, I just can't eat them. The only bananas I will eat are the fried ones at Texas de Brazil, ones that are super sweet and covered in powdered sugar, and only when I am eating massive amounts of delicious beef. Anyway, I digress. So, the other night Tony asked me if I would make him bananas foster, which happens to be one of his favorite desserts. So after some googling of recipes I was ready to go. It was actually really easy and even this banana hater had to admit, it tasted pretty darn good!

Easy Bananas Foster (from recipezaar.com)
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 bananas, sliced
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch salt
2 scoops ice cream (vanilla or something more exotic like praline or wattleseed) We used Cake Batter 

Directions:
  1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add sliced bananas and stir for 2 minutes.
  3. Add brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
  4. Lower heat and continue cooking, stirring constantly for 2 more minutes.
  5. Serve over a scoops of ice cream. 
  6. Note: 1 oz of booze may be added during the last 2 minutes of cooking (Rum works well), add with the pan off of the heat- Beware of flaming. (We added in 1 oz Tortuga Gold rum at step 4 and it didn't flame)

1 comment:

Bekkah said...

Bananas foster is my absolute favorite dessert ever. I use rum and bourbon in the last step and let it flame so the bananas get a nice little caramelization going on. Yum!

Post a Comment