Monday, June 28, 2010

French Vanilla Chocolate Mini Chip Ice Cream

As I said in my last post, we've been on an ice cream kick lately. Shortly after the mint Andes ice cream was gone we again decided to make some more. Told you I was an ice cream fanatic! So this time we decided to go with a french vanilla base with mini semi-sweet chocolate chips added in. I usually use the recipe in the book that came with the attachment, but decided to tweak it given that I didn't have all the necessary amounts of ingredients and that I liked the directions better from the last time I made ice cream, so I combined the two to make my own recipe. This made a little less, as I had less of the ingredients, if you'd like to make a full 1.5 qt, just increase everything by 1/4.


French Vanilla Ice Cream with Mini Chocolate Chips

Ingredients:
2 cups half and half
1 cup heavy whipping cream
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
3 oz mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Combine the half and half and heavy cream and place in medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat until hot and steamy, but not boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
2. Place egg yolks in mixing bowl and whip in medium speed, add sugar and continue to beat until lighter in color and slightly thickened.
3. Add a little bit of the cream/half and half mixture to the the egg mixture and continue beating on low - medium speed, keep adding in the liquid gradually.
4. Transfer the new mixture back into the medium saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly. Heat until very hot and steamy and small bubbles form around the sides, do not boil!
5. Transfer to a heat/temperature proof bowl and add in the vanilla and stir.
6. Allow to cool on counter top for about 30 minutes or so and then put lid on container and place in fridge for about 8 hours or overnight.
7. Freeze according to ice cream maker directions, for me it was put freezer bowl attachment on Kitchen Aid, assemble dasher and set to STIR, add in custard mixture from fridge using a container with a spout (I used a large measuring cup) and then let spin for 20 minutes, adding mini chocolate chips in during the last 2 minutes of freeze time.
8. Serve immediately if soft serve texture is desired, if not put back in container and freeze for an additional 3-4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment