Now that my third half marathon is over, and I've got the PR I've been chasing, it's given me some time to reflect on my running up to this point. I've learned a lot from running. I've learned a lot about what works for me and what doesn't. But, I still beat myself up after every race about everything I did wrong. Looking back on Sunday's race, I know I am capable of more.
So, what works: running with a handheld water bottle. This is my number one. I get thirsty, I need water. It doesn't seem to matter the distance, but especially now that the heat is setting in, even if it's just an easy 3 miler, and maybe it's a crutch, but I need my handheld. Fueling every 40-45 minutes or about every 4 miles. I thought I was pretty set on Chocolate Outrage GU as my fuel of choice, but I'm starting to think I may need to start testing some others, but the time frame is a definite keeper. Also, pre-run, I always need to fuel with an english muffin topped with natural peanut butter and some water. This seems to work best. Sweaty Bands over BondiBands, the BondiBands are just too thick and make me too hot. Lululemon Ta Ta Tamer sports bra. It's the best bra I have ever found and I now own 3 of them and I want a million more if I could afford them. I also find I like to stay as cool as possible, so good running shorts, I love my Mizuno Ascends, are a must. As well as wicking shirts/tanks.
What I need to work on: boinking out during a race mentally. This is always where I lose it. During training I am alone, I run my long runs, and I push myself to keep going and zone out to my music, and push myself to finish the distance left. During races, I lose it, I can't sustain my mental strength. I give in to fatigue and the old me in my head that says it's okay to walk, "you are tired," or "you've already gone so far, you need a break," then I see a bunch of other people walking, and I just follow them. I hate myself for it. I hate that I look at my Garmin and feel a false sense of security sometimes, like I did on Sunday, I knew I would get my PR and my goal, and that was good enough then when I was feeling so tired and achy, but today, it's not good enough, because I'm not happy with my performance, especially when I know I was capable of more.
So what can I do? I can work on fighting the "bad" voices and desires to slow down, to walk, to give in. Training is as much a mental aspect as a physical one and I obviously still have a way to go. I think a lot of factors also influence how well I do or don't do. Heat definitely is a big factor. I don't do well with heat. I also think I need to try a hat or visor maybe, something to shade my face when the sun is blazing, not just sunglasses. Also, I think I need to get refitted for shoes or go up a half size in my current Mizuno Wave Inspire 6s. While I love my shoes, when the temperature increases, and I am running longer distances, my feet seem to be swelling a lot more, and my second toes are hitting the top of the toebox and giving me black toenails and blisters on my left foot near the inner ball/toe area, despite my fancy Injinji toe socks. I'm also going to work on pacing better, not going out too fast, reserving energy, and all that jazz.
Hopefully, my new strategies work, and I can look back at a race and not be so critical of myself, however, I guess that's the point of racing right? To always improve and try to beat your previous PR. Next time though, I can definitely say, my #1 goal for the race will be to run a "smart race," and then PR of course!

No comments:
Post a Comment