Yesterday was my birthday, and again we celebrated in the usual style, Melting Pot for dinner, and more running gear as gifts! Last year, if you recall my wonderful husband bought me my first pair of running shoes and a Nike+ for my birthday, this year I got this little baby:
That my friends, is a real runner's toy, and one I have been pining after for months now, a Garmin Forerunner 305! I've wanted this super awesome GPS, heart rate monitor, pace calculator, all around all-star watch after I began training for the half marathon. While I like my Nike+, it isn't always 100% accurate, it's a toy, this however, is a tool. It's precision and calculation are spot on. It can calculate grade, elevation, and it has a nifty feature where if you happen to get lost on your running route, you can just hit "Back to Start," and it will show you the way to get back. I think I am officially in love.
So of course I had to test it out this evening and play, enter new motivation. Hubs and I went out for a nice 2 mile evening spin around the loop in our neighborhood. It was my first time hitting the pavement since the Navy 10 Nautical Miler on June 6th. Needless to say, I was incredibly rusty and out of shape. I suppose taking 3.5 months off will do that to you, and completely kill all endurance. I almost feel like I am starting from scratch again. But, since I am planning on training for the races I mentioned in my last post, I think this is just the thing to help me stay motivated, and give an analytical junkie like me loads of data to analyze and try to improve upon. I ran tonight's first mile in 11:40, and the second in 12:03, and if you look at the graph below, you'll see my pace and the grade of the surface, it's pretty fun to see how I slow down as the grade increases and I have to tackle hills. I hate hills, I like to walk up them and the run down, but I did manage to run a few, and it was great to see that with this program.
I'm looking very forward to the next few weeks and hoping it brings in some Fall weather here so I can go out and run with my new data grabber. It's nice to be back in the saddle again!


1 comment:
What a fun new toy! That would definately get me motivated.
Post a Comment